Meeting Room Policy
The Wheaton Public Library (WPL) recognizes that community-based groups have need for meeting room accommodations. Making accommodations to local groups is an additional service which WPL may render under conditions set by the Library Board, including but not limited to:
- WPL sponsored or co-sponsored meetings, programs, and events take first priority in use of the library’s meeting room facilities, as does City of Wheaton use.
- Permission to use the meeting rooms does not constitute Library sponsorship or endorsement of a group’s policies or beliefs, or an endorsement of viewpoints expressed by participants.
- No advertisement or announcement implying such sponsorship or endorsement will be permitted.
- All publicity must contain a disclaimer stating the meeting or program is not sponsored by WPL.
- Groups or organizations must open their meetings or events to the general public.
Space, staff limitations, and Library schedules require regulatory measures which affect the use of the meeting rooms. The Library Board and the Library Director reserve the right to deny permission to use the meeting rooms for cause. Library administrative staff is authorized to deny use of the meeting rooms at their sole discretion based on the anticipated availability of parking space at the requested time or other factors which may impair the public’s access to library services.
If, on the advice of law enforcement officials, the Library Director or Library Board determines that a reasonable possibility of a threat to the safety of library staff, library users or members of the public might occur, based on prior experience of the group or speaker at WPL or at other occasions where the group has held meetings which have been disruptive or had a potential for violence, the following will be required, payment, by cashier's check, the estimated cost of any special security measures needed for the meeting and a special event liability policy for $1,000,000 for injury or damage to property occurring at the meeting, program or event.
WPL reserves the right to modify this policy and to cancel any reservation due to unforeseen circumstances. The library may also cancel a group’s reservation(s) if the meeting room policy is violated.
The following groups may use the meeting room for cultural, civic and informal educational purposes:
- Library-related Groups
- Wheaton Governmental Groups
- Not-for-profit Organizations/Corporations (as defined by 805 ILCS 105)
- Non-business-related local clubs or organizations
- Wheaton businesses holding non-commercial meetings
The person who reserves the meeting room must be registered as a WPL cardholder in good standing. This person is responsible for the room. The responsible member of the group must be present at the library before staff will open the meeting room to the group, and the responsible member of the group must be present throughout the scheduled meeting.
Reservations Will Not Be Taken For
- Purely social or private functions
- Meetings that cause excessive noise, or which use hazardous materials
- Programs not suitable for the library’s physical facilities, or which interfere with the library’s normal operation
- Programs or gatherings which present a potential danger to the participants, library staff, patrons, community, or the library building and grounds
Availability, Capacity, Fees
- Meeting rooms are available during regular library hours, Monday through Saturday
- Meeting rooms are not available on Sundays
- Meetings must end 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Minimum capacity of each room is 10.
- Meeting Room A, Lower Level, maximum capacity is 100
- Meeting Room C, Lower Level, maximum capacity is 25
- Meeting Room 2B, 2nd Floor, maximum capacity is 25
- Charges will be assessed for any damage to Library property.
Room reservations will be granted no more than 3 months in advance, and will be considered on a first come-first served basis. No more than 12 reservations may be made in one year.
Making a Reservation
- To reserve Meeting Room 2B or C, complete the online reservation form on our website which will be reviewed by library staff.
- To reserve Meeting Room A, send an email request to email@example.com and include the number of people in your group.
- The person making the reservation must be at least 18 years old and have a WPL card in good standing. This person is responsible for the group’s use of the meeting room.
- Applicants will receive an email when the reservation has been approved.
- Select from the available room setups when making a reservation.
- Equipment in each room includes
- Tables and chairs
- Cart with TV, computer and DVD player
- Podium (Rooms A and 2B)
In the interest of protecting the Library facilities, groups or organizations may NOT:
- Use the name or address of WPL as the official address or headquarters of the organization
- Use the telephone number of WPL as the point of contact for information about the meeting
- Attach anything to the walls or furnishings
- Serve alcoholic beverages
- Levy admission charges or take up a collection
- Solicit or fundraise within the Library. Exceptions are allowed for Library-sponsored events. Sales of items will be permitted only if appropriate and with prior written permission.
- Post signs or posters pertaining to a non-Library sponsored program on library property
Adopted April 16, 2007
Revised 7/09; 12/10; 11/13; 11/15; 11/21; 12/21