Seed Share with Sustain DuPage
Program Type:Gardening & Nature
Dreaming of Spring and fresh produce from your garden? Get a head start on your planning and join Sustain DuPage at our free Seed Share!
What to bring:
- We welcome heirloom and open pollinated seeds, including those purchased packets you didn’t use all of last year.
- Please bring seeds saved or purchased within the last 2-4 years or less, and stored in a cool, dark, and dry place.
- Label the seeds with the type, variety, and the date and location they were harvested, along with any other descriptions that might be helpful. An example would be: Cherry Tomato: Italian Yellow Cherry. 2020 grown in Glen Ellyn.
- Please DO NOT bring seeds saved from hybrid plants. They won’t grow true to type.
- You are welcome to come take seeds even if you do not have seeds to contribute, just please take only what you can use this season.
- Your preferred seed storage: Ziploc bags, envelopes, medicine jars.
We will have:
- Blank envelopes and pens for you to take notes
- Some of our seeds to share
- Activities and coloring pages for kids
- A hands on seed demonstration table
Seeds left at the end of the day will be donated to the Wheaton Public Library’s Seed Library and the Sustain DuPage Seed Cache.
In the course of daily operations, the library may take photographs within public areas of the library. Written permission is not needed for Library staff to take photographs of groups or crowds including children in the library building or during library sponsored events.