Looking for a way to get service hours while you’re staying home due to COVID-19 precautions? We got you!
#WeWereHere Project: Share Your 2020 Experience
The #WeWereHere Project is working to collect and share teens' voices, thoughts, and experiences on what 2020 has been like for you. How have you dealt with the big issues, connected with others, and taken care of yourself? Teens in grades 6-12 can submit their work to the project to earn volunteer hours.
1) Create a piece that shares your experience with 2020. It can be a video, poem, song, short story, meme, a piece of artwork, or (almost) anything else you can come up with.
2) Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your creation. Volunteer hours will be determined on an individual basis.
3) Submit your work to the #WeWereHere Project
Connect with Someone: Write a Greeting Card
Teens in grades 6-12 can send a greeting card to members of Envision Unlimited's Community Integrated Living Arrangements (CILA). These members are missing out on the opportunity to connect and engage with the community during this time of social distancing. Send a card of kind words and encouragement to connect and lift morale during these times of social distancing.
Envision Unlimited is a nonprofit that serves people with disabilities across all ages.
1) Create a Greeting Card. For each card completed, you'll receive 30 minutes of service hours.
2) Take a picture of your card and email it to email@example.com to receive credit of hours from us. If you have not completed a volunteer application please email that as well.
3) Mail your card to one of the addresses below:
Elston Center: 5080 N Elston Ave., Chicago, Illinois 60630
Frick Center: 2124 W 82nd Place, Chicago, Illinois 60620
103rd Street: 1814 W 103rd St., Chicago, Illinois 60643
Cardz for Kidz
Teens in Grades 6-12 can create cards to lift the spirits of hospitalized and/or traumatized kids around the world.
1) Check out these guidelines.
2) Create a card (remember not to write ‘Get Well Soon’ or other health related things). For each card completed, you’ll receive 30 minutes of service hours. If you’re comfortable with it, please sign the cards with your FIRST name and location (e.g. From, Veronica in Riverdale).
3) Bring the cards to the Teen Services desk at the library when we reopen – we will mail the cards all together.
Write Reviews for our Teenspace Blog
What books have you loved? Hated? Is there a video game you can't stop playing?
Write (or record) a short review and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For each review you'll receive 30 minutes of service hours.
Questions? Email Lisa at email@example.com
Have an idea for an at home project? Let us know!